6/17/2007

My vacation continues

Hello everybody. I am back in Georgia. We came in last night and slept late this morning. I am doing great and we had a wonderful time in Virginia. Thank you so much again Channon and Mark. You were great hosts and taught me a lot about Virginia during my visit. Thank you again.

We left on Tuesday and went to Alexandria to visit various yarn shops including one in D.C.. It was fun for me even though I'm not a knitter. I "just" crochet. Here are some photos from the yarn shops - of me, and Annie, as well as Chan and Amy, who was Annie's spoiler in an exchange. They were all really great, and it was fun meeting them.




Channon and I


Amy

On Wednesday Annemarie and I went to Washington D.C.. We parked the car across from the Old Post Office, which is a beautiful building:


From there we went on a tour bus down Constitution Avenue to the Capitol Building.



We continued to all major buildings all over town, as well as the various memorials from the World War 2 to the Vietnam memorial. We also went to the Thomas Jefferson. Lincoln and FDR memorials.

The Jefferson Memorial:


Lincoln Memorial



Annie at the FDR memorial



The Washington Monument



We drove by the "Watergate" hotel, embassy row, the IRS building, the Supreme court, the National Archives (this is a place I'd like to go in sometime), the various Smithsonian museums, the Pentagon and we ate at the Pentagon mall. The last stop was on Pennsylvania Avenue at the White House. President Bush did not come out to invite me in for a cup of coffee.



What I saw of Washington D.C. is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. After the tour we drove back to Charlottesville, to Channon and Mark's house. Here's the view from their back porch:



Thursday was a trip to Richmond for a leisurely lunch and more yarn shop visits and on Friday we went to various stores (surprise, surprise - you can see all the shops and yarn on Annie's blog) and visited Monticello. Wonderful gardens, great park and a great hose. Did not go inside because we would have had to wait for almost an hour before our tour would begin, it was raining and I was sleeveless and in shorts. I did buy a book and hope this will suffice.

Monticello Gardens:


More gardens:


As close as we could get to the house (without waiting even MORE time in the rain for our tour):

Friday night dinner out and Saturday morning one more yarn shop....


and homeward bound we were.

The next few days will be relaxing and then it goes on to Dallas for three days and I will have more to report then.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Ingrid!
I'm in the virtual vaca swap as well. Just visiting your blog so I thought I'd say Hello.
What a fantastic vacation you are having!
*Susan*

Devonshire said...

Glad to hear you had a great time! Your daughter is the best!

Melissa said...

Hello! I just received my package! OH THANK YOU SO MUCH! You really did spoil me on this! The soap smells so good! And the cloths are great! Also the lacy butterfly pattern is one that I have been contemplating getting for a while! I can't wait to try the other one as well! Thank you again!

Melissa B.

P.S. My littlest one really like the duck too!

Martina in AK said...

Hi Ingrid! It;s beth, Judy, Amanda, Idella, Joni, Deb, and Darlene, and Katie! We just finished Bunco and were reading about your adventures! Sounds like fun! It's raining and 50 degrees; nice to see tank tops and sunshine! Clara misses you and she said "oma" the other day. Katie loves you and misses you and says you're the best!

Bye for now!

Lia said...

Hi Ingrid!

I'm in the Virtual Vacation Swap, and in the Felted Bag Swap. It is so cool to see the vacation pictures that I have been reading about on Chan's and Annie's blogs!

It looks like a great vacation. Next trip, you gals need to come up to NJ, and I'll show you the sites and we can go put a couple of quarters in the slots in Atlantic City, lol!