6/02/2007

The beginning of vacation


Hello all, hope this finds you well. Arrived in Atlanta on Wednesday and you'll be glad to know that the airport is still under construction. Annie was at the baggage claim to welcome me. My flight was uneventful and I wish I had the same flight back instead of having to change planes in LA.

We went to Ft McPherson from the airport and got groceries at the commissary (very small). Went home, unpacked and went to Annie's work to get introduced to her team. From there we went to Coldwater Creek and the store is simply fantastic.

The next day I just took it kinda easy because I was very tired.




Friday Annie only worked 1/2 day and we went to get our nails done (best fill I ever had), also had my feet massaged and nails cut, no pedicure.












From there we went to a BBQ place to eat so we would be fortified for shopping at Big Lots, Publix grocery, and Payless at which time my credit card didn't work. Pretty embarrassing. Thank goodness only the bank's server was down and I'm not out of money yet. Katie don't worry. I will buy your chocolate. I'm sure to save money for that.



On Saturday morning we left for Anniston and arrived an hour early because we forgot the time change. I 20 is the same as I remember it from about 40 years ago. Same fireworks stand were your dad used to buy cherry bombs and set them off under Mawma and Pawpa house. The town of Aniston is a sad sight to see. Almost every other store is closed. Ft McClallan has only some reserve units. So the town is dying a slow death. The median on the road had large trees and I remembered going on the median once when I took you to the Dr. on the base and run over several of newly planted saplings before making it back to the road (one day after I got my drivers license in B'ham).

We then drove around awhile and went to Starbucks and waited for JL and Betty. Had a reunion and went on to eat. I had a pork bbq plate with pulled pork, a slab of cornbread, a huge slice of tomatoe and southern green beans, and all for $6.50. From there JL and Bety wanted to go to Walmart (they don't have one in Double Spring, even though they now have 2 traffic lights). From there Betty went and rented a room at the Travelers Inn ($45.00) and just talked for a few hours.



On our drive home we got a pretty bad scare, a car next to us was going 70 mph (speed limit) as we did. He hit his breaks and came to a complete stop which kinda scared us. His reason? A state trooper was sitting on the side of the highway. We all went on and the the officer passed us and pulled the guy over, yeah.

As you will see, everyone has aged quite a bit and I am very glad that I went. This all for today, more in a couple of days. Boys, I love and miss you. Is there something yo would like me to bring you? Let me know. I love and miss you all but having a great time. Mom, Oma, grandma

2 comments:

S. said...

Seems like you have a lot of fun!

SissySees said...

Can't wait to meet you!